26 Nov Thankful on Thanksgiving!
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!! Here in The Bahamas, Thanksgiving is not a holiday…it is still observed in some way by many Bahamians though, especially those that love a good turkey dinner with all the fixin’s! My family and I have taken to fully celebrating Thanksgiving over the past few years. It is a tradition that my husband and I have maintained since we first got together. My siblings and their significant others and kids all gather at our house for an impressive potluck.
At this dinner, there is no such thing as too much food, and my family takes home leftovers to last several days! Thanksgiving dinner is something that my husband and I look forward to every year and this year is the first year in our new house! Needless to say, we are super excited to be hosting it! One of the traditions at our Thanksgiving dinner is that we all go around the table and say 3 things that we are grateful for. It is a really great tradition for everyone to take part in. The kids even get involved, we all have so much to be thankful for!
This year I have been voicing my gratefulness every day for the last week or so, and I will continue to do so every day going forward, even after Thanksgiving! I have started an “exercise” with a good friend of mine, who doesn’t live in The Bahamas – everyday we both post something that we are grateful for on WhatsApp. Sometimes what we post leads into a long conversation, and sometimes what we are grateful for is all that we say to each other that day. The important thing is that we think of, and write down something we are grateful for every single day.
I’ve noticed there have been some really insightful things we are grateful for, and sometimes we are grateful for just the simple things, the point is that we are grateful. I feel that with all of the negative and tough stuff going on in the world, and maybe the tough stuff going on in our daily lives, it is important to focus on the positive, and to navigate life with a grateful heart.
As Thanksgiving falls on November 26th this year, I will share with you 26 things that I am grateful for:
- I am grateful for my husband.
- I am grateful for my parents.
- I am grateful for my siblings.
- I am grateful for my sweet puppy Molly.
- I am grateful for my sister-in-law and my brother-in-law.
- I am grateful for my niece and my two nephews.
- I am grateful for my huge extended family.
- I am grateful for my home.
- I am grateful for my job.
- I am grateful for my education.
- I am grateful for food on my table.
- I am grateful for access to clean drinking water.
- I am grateful for my good health.
- I am grateful for my friends.
- I am grateful for my team at work.
- I am grateful for being able to live in The Bahamas.
- I am grateful for easy access to the beach.
- I am grateful for 360 (give or take) days of sunshine a year.
- I am grateful for the internet and being able to communicate easily with my friends and family overseas.
- I am grateful for the ability to travel.
- I am grateful for a good sense of humour.
- I am grateful for music.
- I am grateful for being able to read a good book.
- I am grateful for coffee.
- I am grateful for the shoes on my feet and the clothes on my back.
- I am grateful for life.
The list could go on and on, as there are many things in my life which I am privileged to be able to experience and enjoy. I hope that I have inspired you to try the exercise and say one thing you are grateful for every day. Trust me, it will be a great experience!
(post by: Amanda Freedman)